Certificate of Occupancy/Home Occupation Permit
Alhambra City Hall - Community Development Department, Economic Development Division
111 South First Street, Alhambra, CA 91801
- Contact the Planning Division at 626-570-5034 or during counter hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, or 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm) to determine if the desired business location is in the appropriate zone.
- All businesses operating in the City of Alhambra need a Certificate of Occupancy, or Home Occupation Permit if you're operating a business at your home.
- All businesses are required to obtain authorization from the property owner to conduct a business at their property. The Property Owner Authorization of Use form must be submitted with the Certificate of Occupancy or Home Occupation Permit Applications.
- All businesses will also need to apply for a Business License at the Finance Department after applying for a Certificate of Occupancy or Home Occupation Permit. (APPLICANT MUST APPLY FOR A CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY OR HOME OCCUPATION PERMIT AND GET APPROVALS BEFORE APPLYING FOR A BUSINESS LICENSE).
CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY
- Submit the application for a Certificate of Occupancy to the Community Development Department, Economic Development Division.
- The Certificate of Occupancy will be reviewed by the Building and Planning Divisions.
- Building and fire inspections will be required.
- The Certificate of Occupancy wil be issued once all inspections are completed and approved.
- Guide to Obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy
HOME OCCUPATION PERMIT
- Submit the application for a Home Occupancy Permit to the Community Development Department, Economic Development Division for review to ensure that the type of business is permitted in your home.
- A home business does not require building and fire inspections.
- The Home Occupation Permit will be issued after the Home Occupation Permit fee is paid.
- Guide to Obtaining a Home Occupation Permit
New and Renewal of Existing Business Licenses
If you're a new business or a business that needs to renew a business license, please contact the Alhambra Finance Department at 626-570-5021 to find out how to apply for a business license.
Food & Beverage Permit and Alcohol Permit for New/Existing Food Establishments
If your business is a restaurant, you will be required to contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control and Los Angeles County Health Department, in addition to City approvals.
State Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, 213-736-2005
Los Angeles County Health Department, 310-665-8450
Factors to consider when starting a new business:
- Space - determine if the space is adequate for current needs and foreseeable growth. Investigate traffic patterns; tour the building; find out who the previous tenant was and why they left. Evaluate the physical location and if the space is a good fit for your product line. Be realistic and don't over-commit.
- Identify competitors - check out neighboring businesses for complementary products and/or services. Is there an established cluster economy?
- Seek professional assistance - hire a real estate attorney who specializes in lease negotiations who understands your area and type of business.
- Identify your responsibilities - determine if you will need to maintain the heating, air-conditioning and other systems, as well as keep up the parking lot and building exterior.
- Affordability - determine if the rent will be affordable.