Building Division

For information, call: (626) 570-5034

Development Services



  • To determine if your project needs a permit, call 626-570-5034.
  • To request a building inspection, call 626-570-3240. Requests must be made between 8:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and at least one day in advance.
  • Inspectors' office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., and 4:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Inspections are conducted from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Call the Building Division at 626-570-5034 on the day of your inspection to find out the time frame of your inspection. Schedules for inspections will be available after 8:30 a.m., Monday through Friday.


The Building Division provides plan review and construction inspection services to enforce minimum safety standards by regulating and controlling design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, as well as location and maintenance of all buildings and structures. Building helps streamline the permit process by providing contractors and homeowners with an easy step-by-step guide for completing the process. On large-scale projects, pre-construction coordination meetings are held with project managers and City staff who play a role in the construction process to help ensure a smooth running project. 


Building plans and permits are required for most residential, commercial, and industrial construction work on private property, whether new, added, remodeled, or altered. An applicant may apply for a permit, including building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical, as an "owner-builder" if the applicant is the owner. You can find more information about owner-builder at

Permits are required for the following types of work:

  • BUILDING CONSTRUCTION/REMODELING New structures and room additions, exterior stucco, interior remodeling, roofing, structural repairs, pools and spas, enclosure of a patio, replacement of windows, and any structural work.
  • ELECTRICAL Installation, alteration, reconstruction or repair of electrical wiring.
  • MECHANICAL Installation, alteration, reconstruction or repair of heating, ventilation, air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment and duct work, and miscellaneous heating appliances.
  • PLUMBING Piping, re-piping, new or replacement fixtures and devices, swimming pool equipment, repair or installation of lawn sprinklers.
  • ​Application and Forms 


  • Contractor's Reports are required from any construction company performing work in Alhambra to verify that each subcontractor has a valid business license for the construction period, and that the current amount was paid for the business license tax bracket in which it falls.
  • The Building and Planning Divisions (626-570-5034) track the location of each construction site.
  • The Finance Department (626-570-5021) handles the receipt of the Contractor's Report by the general contractor or owner-builder. The report should list all subcontractors hired for a particular construction site.
  • The verification process takes approximately two weeks to be completed and is required prior to finalizing a job.
  • If all subcontractors are licensed and no payment adjustment is needed, Building/Planning is notified. If subcontractors are not licensed or a payment adjustment is needed, the general contractor has the option to instruct the subcontractor to pay or pay for the subcontractors. Building and Planning Divisions will be notified when all outstanding fees have been paid.
  • The Code Enforcement Division (626-570-3230) works closely with the Business License Division to enforce the Alhambra Municipal Code in determining whether a business has a valid business license and certificate of occupancy. 


  • Section 7031.5 California Business and Professional Code states that only properly licensed individuals or individuals specifically exempt (Section 7044) from the provisions of the Contractors State License Law shall be allowed to pull a permit for work regulated by code.
  • Owners who obtain construction permits must perform the work in a safe and professional manner, and must provide worker's compensation insurance for relatives and others working on the project even if they are not being paid. Worker's compensation requirements do not apply to the property owners living on the property and immediate family members who also live on the property. For more information on owner-builder responsibilities, please visit

Related information:

Relevant Permits, Licenses, & Applications

No items found.

More Information

Home Improvement ResourcesHome Improvement Resources

Statewide Programs help homeowners improve the energy-efficiency of their homes

No items found.

Sign Up to receive City Council Agenda Packets